Monday, October 25, 2010

One of my all-time-favorite things about life!


One of my all-time-favorite things about life, about being a human being, about having friends, is the precious moments when a friend says just exactly what I need at the right time.

Today my good friend Lorill thanked me for our blog and told me that we had inspired her to walk to work this morning. Wow! 

I have no words to describe exactly the impact of this on me. I felt as if she had, by sharing, given me an incredible gift, and her timing was amazing. Not only was I totally inspired by her (and her walking) but also, simultaneously, I felt completely supported by her to be doing what we are doing.

And why was today such a great day for me to hear this - because this morning the ride to school was difficult. The rain doesn't usually bother me, but today - just to get out the door, just to strap on my helmet - to pull my 10speed out from under the dripping stairs - just to get going, for whatever reason, this morning was a challenge,  

So anyway I have been thinking about it for the last couple hours and I think she really offered me something that is so simple and yet so easy to over look.

What she said wasn’t only “what your doing is cool” which is a kind of support, what she said, rather, was “what your doing is cool and I want to do something too” which is something greater then support – it is inspiration, she was inspired and now I am inspired to continue. Does this make any sense? I am trying to work it out here – I think this is important. She read our blog and felt inspired and supported to walk to work – then she shared with me her inspiration and I felt inspired and supported to continue riding even though it is raining.

Anyway, I need to get to my homework, but please think of someone who has inspired you and then send them an email right now to tell them, to thank them for what they are doing, or what they have done, which has inspired you. Believe me - it makes a difference.

On a side note, does anyone have an old pair of fenders they would like to donate, or sell to me for cheap. Also anyone else who doesn't have fenders, sidewalks are always (for some reason) dryer then the road, so ride high and dry - but watch out for those lovely walkers.. ;-)

Much love
Dion



5 comments:

  1. Biking in the rain is definitely the worst (well maybe biking in snow is worse-- snowflakes feel like magical knives on your eyeballs), but that's fantastic that you're inspiring people! That's what I love so much about reading bike blogs-- makes me want to go out and live an adventure. Bicycling in itself is such a beautiful practice of self-reliance, after all.

    Cheers!
    Jessica from Against the Grind

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love biking in the rain with booties and full rain gear on. The multitude of sounds surrounding you is awesome.

    Peace and hug a vulture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha!
    Thank you Justin - Thats the truth - I need to invest in some good gear. It is just so expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might be able to wrangle you some fenders, fella. Let me have a look-see.

    (I'm going to go walk to school now.)
    xx

    portia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Portia, really? Thank you -
    Let me know

    D

    ReplyDelete